The Waunakee community on Sunday celebrated the service of 16 fellow residents and businesses who give of their time and talent to make the Waunakee area a better place.
Service organizations each year choose some of the key people to receive the awards, which are sponsored by the Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce.
The following is a list of the 2017 award winners who were recognized at Sunday’s Community Awards Banquet at Rex’s Innkeeper:
- Brian Ziegler, American Legion Post 360 Leadership Award. Ziegler is chairman of the Badger Honor Flight Board.
- Hovde Properties, Waunakee Chamber of Commerce Orchid Award. Hovde Properties redeveloped the former Koltes Lumber store into the multi-use Village Crossings building that houses the Lone Girl Brewery, Red Barn Company and Ecco Salon.
- David Weishoff, the Waunakee Chamber of Commerce Young Professional Award. David Weishoff is the owner of David’s Certified Auto Repair.
- The State Bank of Cross Plains and Culver’s, Chamber Business of the Year. The two businesses were tied for the award.
- Waunakee Rotary Club, the Waunakee Chamber of Commerce’s non-profit of the year. The Rotary Club sponsors number of community events and programs, including the Rotary Lights at the Village Park.
- Danny Paul, Waunakee Chamber Champion Award. Paul has been an active volunteer with the Chamber for many years.
- Ted Tweed and Ray Ropers, the Waunakee Community Services Department Friends of the Community Award. Both are key organizers of the Waunakee Health and Energy Fair, along with the Workshops for Wellness.